Millions of people suffer tooth loss—primarily due to tooth decay, periodontal disease, or injury—despite dental care improvements. For a long time, bridges and dentures were the only treatment options available to those with missing teeth, but that is not the case today! Now there is another long-term solution for replacing missing teeth, and it is available to you when you visit your dentist in Lancaster, PA—dental implants!
Today’s blog post aims to inform you about some frequently asked questions regarding dental implants. Keep reading to learn more and to see how Hempfield Family Dental Care can help you.
Dental Implants: What Are They?
Dental implants are prostheses (not actual teeth) that are used for replacing teeth. An oral surgeon will insert a small titanium implant (an internal and external threaded screw) into your jawbone—think of it as a replacement tooth root—after which the dentist then attach a fixed bridge, a single crown (cap), or a full or partial denture made to match your natural teeth.
How Complex is the Dental Surgery?
Sometimes dentures and bridgework do not fit well, or there are simply not enough natural teeth roots available to allow for building replacements. In these instances, dental implant surgery is a welcome alternative. The type of implant used and your jawbone condition will determine how the oral surgeon performs dental implant surgery.
While the dental implant surgery is now a routine procedure some patients may require bone grafting to prepare a weak jaw for the surgery . To get the most effective results for your new teeth, the bone must heal tightly around the implant. This healing requires time. Dental implant placement is completed in one appointment; but preparation and follow-up may involve several procedures spread across many months until it is completely finished.
Am I an Ideal Dental Implant Candidate?
Do you find yourself wondering if you are an excellent candidate to receive dental implants? Well, if you are missing one or more teeth, you just may be a eligible for dental implants. Dental implants can help to resolve the issue by filling in the gap(s) from your missing tooth or teeth.
There are also additional factors your dentist will need to consider while determining whether you may be an ideal candidate for dental implants. First, a dentist will need to make sure your gums and teeth are in good health. They will also check your jawbone health to see whether it is strong enough or not to support the new implants.
Your dentist will also take into consideration whether or not you have good oral hygiene, which is vital to protect against infection during the procedure. If you are a smoker, this could be a possible hurdle because smoking can hinder the healing process. And as we have stated previously, this procedure can potentially take a long time, so a good candidate will need to have a lot of patience with the process.
What Are the Advantages to Dental Implants?
When you are considering dental implants, there are many advantages despite the lengthy healing process. Some of those advantages include:
- Improving your speech. Dentures can sometimes slip around, causing you to mumble or slur your words. Dental implants will have you speaking without any worries about dentures falling out or moving around.
- Making you more comfortable. Dental implants will make you feel like you have real teeth! The discomfort of removable dentures is eliminated because dental implants are permanent.
- Improving your ability to eat foods you like. Chewing is difficult with dentures that slide around. Dental implants allow you to enjoy your food-favorites again by functioning just like your natural teeth.
- Boosting your confidence. People with missing teeth often hide their smile out of embarrassment, but dental implants can increase your self-esteem by giving you back your smile!
- Bettering your oral health. Unlike a tooth-supported bridge, dental implants do not require reducing other teeth, leaving more of your natural teeth intact. This can help to better your long-term oral health and hygiene.
- Being long-lasting. Implants will last you a long time because they are made from durable titanium. They are exceptionally durable, and with reasonable care, many implants will last a lifetime.
- Making dentures more convenient. The embarrassment that sometimes comes along with removing dentures or the inconvenience of using messy adhesives is eliminated with dental implants.
Schedule a Dental Implant Appointment Today
Have you been searching online for “dental implants near me”? Well, you are in look because here at Hempfield Family Dental Care, Dr. Kolsun and staff can help fill any gaps you may have. This tooth replacement option will restore your smile and your self-confidence as well. We feature a wide range of cosmetic dentistry services to complement our practice’s complete dental health care. We also accept most major insurance carriers, and have interest-free financing available through Care Credit. Contact us to find out what procedures are covered or to schedule an appointment today.